Author Topic: Parking Review: What are your thoughts on parking in Weston?  (Read 211 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Richard Nightingale is looking for views from local people about parking in Weston-super-Mare as part of North Somerset Council's review.

Leave your thoughts here so that Richard can pass them on to North Somerset Council.

Coders123

Re: Parking Review: What are your thoughts on parking in Weston?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 02:43:41 PM »
This review needs to look at parking right across North Somerset, not just Weston.

Anon

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
Parking within the Southward area can be challenging. Markings need to be reviewed across the area, the are in many instances unnecessary. Would it also benefit to have bays marked to help prevent poor parking- some using up multiple spaces.
This is a perspective from a resident

Orbit Chris

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 02:44:44 PM »
I agree it is a challenge, however it can be resolved with the correct planning. Residents parking is affected by commuters wanting to avoid the parking charges in town and also the parking for passing trade of the local shops. That alongside the large amount of cars that do not mover regularly is proving that the out dated parking lines that currently exist need another look at in my opinion. I would also like to add the the size of space most people take up in a bay could be better utilised. There are so many wasted half spaces due to lack of mindfulness of others, this in itself would make a huge improvement. Perhaps we could paint in slots for cars and have adequate loading bays for vans and 7.5 tonne vehicles. Also restrict the delivery time to allow them to do early morning deliveries like other large towns and cities to free up space for customers! We want to encourage business and attract people in without stepping on the toes of the local residents.

Do It Don't Talk About It

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 02:45:27 PM »
There should always be some free parking available, BUT, this should not inconvenience those residents that have no option but to park on the street. Therefore ‘Residents Only’ parking zones should be considered.

Around Ellenborough Park there should be a parking restriction for motor caravans and motor homes to prevent overnight and long term parking. This area is NOT a camp site. This restriction should be enforced 52 weeks of the year to cover all the major attractions to the town.

The beach race event provides competitors with motor home parking so Ellenborough Park should NOT be a FREE option for them.

Bridget Levingston

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 02:46:00 PM »
Hi, I have a number of comments regarding Parking in Weston.
1. Residents only parking spaces are a must. The majority of people that park in the road I live in do not live here. They park for most of the day, often not taking care to park carefully, partially blocking driveways etc.
2. WINTER parking on the Beach Road prom slip road area and on the Royal Sands Beach parking for example should be free or reduced from October to May. I have a dog and love to walk him on the beach and object to paying £2.50 for 4 hrs when I only want an hour. It should be Free or at least a minimal charge for an hour, for example.

Orbit Chris

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 02:46:33 PM »
How about ‘Resident Passes’ as a consideration? As empty spaces for residents should be utilised. Spaces need to be better utilised as many are wasted from poor parking and there needs to be more of them. A resident pass could mean that the resident could use a common space down their own street or within a close few streets. This could be at no cost or a considerably reduced cost during busy periods. Consideration for different prices for the spaces as duration for shops and residential spaces is often different and the price should reflect accordingly to encourage and deter what is required. Some spaces are hogged all day by business owners and a lot of loading bays are abused this way also. Road safety should be (and lawfully is) more important than shoppers who cannot be bothered to walk a few steps to a convenience store. Co-op and Tesco Severn Road is notorious for this. There is even a camera… what is it recording?! We have some good possible directions and solutions here I will be interested to see the developments in due course. Can we see these big corps leaned on to perform as they take considerable revenue from these neighbourhoods. They are responsible in many ways for contributing to the negative impact and should be continually improving the area as they go not just extracting profit. That should be a requirement for prime foot fall locations.

Kate Milton

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 02:47:04 PM »
I think that there needs to be residents only parking in the Clevedon Road area, particularly between the hours of 930 and 330. This will then avoid the issue of people parking there to go to the beach in the summer, or to go into town or avoid parking charges at the station and would alleviate the pressure for residents. I agree that bays would be helpful to avoid bad parking, of which there is a lot. Speaking personally I would be happy to pay a nominal annual sum for residents’ permits and guest permits.

Additionally the parking charges on the sea front are significantly lower in the winter. They are ridiculously high in the summer. If they are consistently low all year round the spaces there are more likely to be used, alleviating pressure on residents in the side roads. The sea front spaces are not used to capacity in the summer and lower prices would probably generate more income that having hundreds of empty spaces.

Roxy Povey

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
I live on a road where there are parking for go to 1 hr only with normal parking the other side. I have had 3 parking tickets in the 2 months I have lived here. There should be a residents parking pass that I could display. Many people who work or visit town use my road to park on and there are also residents that have 2 or more cars also. Im not there often as I work but it is very frustrating for the little time that I am here. I have looked at the council website Re parking permits but none of the options help

Jay Barford

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 02:48:11 PM »
Weston parking is absolutely disgusting!! I live on a street were I have too pay too park, I at least get one fine a week to park outside my own house and it’s a joke!!! Let’s put pay and display machines outside these government sscums and I’m pretty sure it will be a different story. Iv spoke to the council about a parking permit but still why should I pay to park outside my own house? Even the permits you cant use at certain times which is stupid cause I finish work at different times each day! I say sort this out!!!!!!